Welcome to Mohawk Maker Quarterly #11: The Process Issue

The process of making something — method, materials, ingredients, artistry, experience — is the squiggly line between idea and object. In issue 11 of the Mohawk Maker Quarterly, we celebrate makers who take conscious paths to get from Point A to Point B.

Since its debut in 2013, the Mohawk Maker Quarterly has explored the landscape of creative expression in print. In this latest issue we focus on process as our topic. The five chapters that make up issue eleven look at the process of making and the often circuitous journey involved. Each chapter maps the paths makers take to get from start to finish and how process can influence, shape and define the end product.

Dora Drimalas, Principal of Hybrid Design adds, “On the path from Point A to Point B, it’s the ‘to’ that makes all the difference. We spend a lot of time in the steps between concept and completion: sketching possibilities, refining the strongest ideas, crafting the details and executing the finished products. In this issue we’re mapping those paths in order to better understand how different techniques, tools, even workspaces, yield transformative work.”

“We hope the Process Issue reveals how the journey itself can be the destination through the story of makers and creatives whose process defines their product,” adds Chris Harrold, VP and Creative Director at Mohawk.

Early in the design process, the team at Hybrid chose an 8.25 x 10.75” sketchbook size format to echo the theme of the issue. The 80 pages of issue eleven are made up of five signatures, showing five different Mohawk papers whose unique characteristics are a direct result of the papermaking process. Open, smyth sewn bindery and a tactile, rough edge trim all suggest an “in-process” feel for this issue.

Throughout, the design team has incorporated expansive footnotes to bring the reader inside the process of making this special issue; from notes about paper, the creation of illustrations and even the volume of coffee consumed by the design team from start to finish.

The Process Issue is divided into five chapters:
Chapter 1: Beginnings – Printed on Mohawk Via Felt, Light Gray 80 text/118gsm
Chapter 2: Participation – Printed on Mohawk Loop Antique Vellum, Husk 80 text/118gsm
Chapter 3: Place – Printed on Mohawk Options Smooth, 100% PC Cream White, 80 text/118gsm
Chapter 4: Practice – Printed on Mohawk Via Laid, Natural, 70 text/104gsm
Chapter 5: Product – Printed on Mohawk Loop Linen, Restful Blue, 70 text/104gsm

Feature articles include:

Out of Line: The Incredible Creative Impact of Sketching by Patrick Sisson
A closer look at how putting pen to paper in search of something new is a powerful creative catalyst.

DIWHY? by Jordan Kushins
When our digital lives claim too much territory from our physical ones, do we as people become less defined?

Process Defines Product by Bryn Moooth, Kirstin Jackson, Erin Osmon
From cheese to music to paper, the method of making is fundamental to that which is made.

Inside the Mill a photo essay by Jeff Dey
Step inside the Mohawk Mills and see where four generations have built an American legacy of fine papermaking.

Working to Code by John Dugan
For artist Tom Sachs, there is the right way, the wrong way, and his way.

Creative Islands by Caleb Kozlowski
In a world of constant sharing isolation can be an unlikely catalyst for creative development.

Design Thinking is Dead. Long Live Design by Dora Drimalas
Design is a whole brain exercise. And exercise that young designers may be missing in today’s factory system of design.

The Movement: The Process is the Product
Sometimes process is core to the story of a product’s identity. The featured makers and their products elevate their process to art.

Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eleven features the following makers:
Speedvagen, Bike Builders, Portland, OR
Vince Contarino, Artist, New York, NY
Oblique Strategies,  Creative Redirection
Ruffmercy,  Artist, Animator, Producer, Bristol, UK
Jack Vanzet, Artist, Designer, Melbourne, Australia
Bureo Skateboards, Sustainable Skateboards, Los Angeles, CA
Jay Nelson, Artist, San Francisco, CA
Gregory Thielker, Painter, New York, NY
Draw Down, Publishing House, New England

The Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eleven was skillfully printed by Sandy Alexander, Inc., Clifton, NJ, using four color printing, match green, match pink, match blue, match light blue and spot dull varnish. Bindery was artfully executed by Bassil Book Binding and Finishing, Hackensack, NJ.

To learn more about the publication or to sign up to receive future issues of the Mohawk Maker Quarterly, visit www.mohawkconnects.com/cultureofcraft.

1. Posted by tricia mace on 02.20.17 at 12:25 pm

I cannot wait to find this issue in my post-box!!! I always LOVE your creative energy!

2. Posted by Rick Schank on 02.20.17 at 2:32 pm

Is there some way I can get copies for my students?

3. Posted by Kathy McCreedy on 02.20.17 at 4:02 pm

SO looking forward to receiving this issue!!! Thank you SO much for this terrific program of outreach and education!!!

4. Posted by jordan on 02.21.17 at 8:20 am

How can i order this issue?

5. Posted by Gary Rust on 02.21.17 at 12:01 pm

I want to be sure that I receive a copy of this issue. Please let me know how. I have subscribed. And am a member of Paperspec Pro. Premium. What more do you need. Thanks.
    Gary

6. Posted by Mohawk Fine Papers on 02.21.17 at 12:30 pm

Hi Rick- Of course! Send us more information to [email protected]

7. Posted by Mohawk Fine Papers on 02.21.17 at 12:31 pm

Jordan- Head over to mohawkconnects.com/cultureofcraft to sign up!

8. Posted by Mohawk Fine Papers on 02.21.17 at 12:37 pm

Hi Gary,

Before we mailed the past issue, we asked customers to re-subscribe to the mailing list to make sure they would still like to receive the series. We took a look at the mailing list and it looks like you have not re-subscribed. But we have an easy fix! All you have to do is re-subscribe here: mohawkconnects.com/cultureofcraft

Thanks!

9. Posted by Dennis Johnson on 02.21.17 at 1:46 pm

I too look forward to receiving this publication for myself as well as my graphic design students.

10. Posted by Jeremie Rose Wimbrow on 02.22.17 at 11:25 am

I have signed up on 3 different occasions and never received a copy.

11. Posted by Kalley on 02.22.17 at 11:27 am

I have also signed up a few different times and never received a copy either.

12. Posted by Jessie Vittoria on 02.22.17 at 5:42 pm

I subscribed and received issue 10, but I never saw the message about resubscribing until now. I resubscribed just in case. Is it too late to receive this issue if I actually wasn’t already subscribed?

13. Posted by Yng Yng Marshall on 02.24.17 at 2:18 pm

Hi, I would like to make sure I’m in the subscriber list too. Thank you! Every issue is well received among our design team, we always look forward to it.

14. Posted by Erin on 03.2.17 at 3:18 pm

Hi There! I resubscribed a few weeks ago but haven’t received this issue yet. Any other steps I should take? (I also missed out on last fall’s issue…). Miss it very much!!

15. Posted by Candace on 03.14.17 at 8:12 pm

Hi, I’ve just signed up at mohawkconnects.com/cultureofcraft to receive future issues. Is there a way I can receive past issues that are still in print, including this past Issue 11?