How’s your New Year shaping up? Share your plans here & get a gift from Mohawk.

[Tom Biederbeck] Whether your 2010 edges into 2011 with noisemakers or the sigh of a midnight squeeze, the occasion is likely to be marked by a traditional New Year’s resolution. Share yours for 2011 with us here at Felt & Wire over the next 12 days, and not only will it be eligible for publication when we return January 3, but every commenter will receive a beautiful letterpress-printed tribute to the typeface Elegy.

This letterpress-printed broadside is your gift from Mohawk for posting a resolution for 2011.

No one seems to know the origin of making New Year’s resolutions, but whatever the provenance, composing an appropriate resolution requires little more than common sense.

For example, no points are awarded for redressing nonexistent transgressions: “I resolve to stop killing baby seals in 2011” … random stabs at self-reinvention: “This year I will join the circus as The Human Flywhisk” … or noble acts involving unlikely good fortune: “When I win the Powerball lottery, I will give half to hungry orphans.”

A good resolution is achievable, realistic, objective (quantifiable when appropriate) and within the means of the person expressing it. For example, “During 2011, I resolve not to be struck by a comet,” does not meet these criteria.

But if you have one thing you really can accomplish next year, share it here with your fellow Felt & Wire readers. Leave your declaration in the Comments section below … just keep it clean, kids. That’s all you have to do to receive your gift.

About that gift:
Elegy is a new typeface (drawn by Jim Wasco), reinterpreted from the past for the present and future … which makes it especially appropriate for recognizing a new year and your plans for it. As our thanks for your resolution, we’ll send you a copy of this exquisite limited-edition broadside, commissioned by Monotype Imaging for the release of Elegy, written by Felt & Wire’s own Alyson Kuhn, typeset by Ilene Strizver and letterpress-printed by Patrick Reagh Printers on Mohawk Superfine Eggshell, White, 100t.

Your resolution, coming here soon?
On January 3 we’ll publish picks from the resolutions submitted, and — speaking of gifts — the gifted designer Christopher Simmons, creator of the artwork atop this article, will create special settings for a selection of the best.

Why not gear up with a starter resolution? As in resolving not to put off composing your 2011 resolution … and posting it below right now.

Christopher Simmons is a designer, writer, educator, design advocate and principal of the noted San Francisco design office MINE. In 2011 he resolves to do less so he can do more.

1. Posted by Wende on 12.22.10 at 10:07 am

In 2011 I resolve to be mindful of the resources I waste – time, money, and nourish more.

2. Posted by David on 12.22.10 at 2:56 pm

My New Year’s Resolution is simple, if not a bit boring – I resolve to write more letters. I am doing a poor job of quickly replying to my pen pals. I just sent one off yesterday but have two more in my queue. Coincidentally, both in Australia!

3. Posted by Paperlover on 12.22.10 at 4:05 pm

My perennial resolution to lose weight falls in the category of joining the circus…. But I do intend to waste less time on the computer and read more books on subjects that are new to me.

4. Posted by Erica on 12.22.10 at 11:38 pm

I have decided to go back to college and finish my degree! YAY Me!

5. Posted by Marti Schrock on 12.23.10 at 10:10 am

Still working on my ideas. They include:
    bringing less into my home & taking out more;
    celebrate turning 40 with style;
    visit an independent pizza parlor with my family once a month;
    give blood; dance in the rain; go for a picnic.
    Thanks for asking!

6. Posted by Andrea on 12.23.10 at 11:17 am

My New Year’s resolution is: don’t worry about the little stuff and to always treat others with compassion and kindness.

7. Posted by blanche gildin on 12.26.10 at 11:29 am

I resolve never to accept an invitation to a party that I really don’t want to go to or go out to dinner with someone I really don’t want to waste my time with. I can better use precious time in my studio surrounded by my art materials and books.

8. Posted by Amy on 12.27.10 at 1:21 am

I have decided to do something creative every day.

9. Posted by Amy Graver on 12.27.10 at 1:48 am

So far: Run my first marathon; build a silk-screening room in our studio’s basement; add another position to help me with marketing (so I have more time to design!); and, as I do every year, I resolve to be more organized. It’s a lifelong pursuit.

10. Posted by Elizabeth Sheets on 12.27.10 at 11:30 am

I resolve to finish a one-of-a-kind piano hinge book each month, for the next 12 months, at which point, I will work to get a show of these pieces in a gallery. Having done 3 in the last three month, I know I can do this.

11. Posted by Beth Goldstein on 12.27.10 at 12:26 pm

I’ve had the same 12 resolutions now for at least 12 years…so, this year, I’m going to try and do one resolution every month. Maybe that will work! I will keep trying!!

12. Posted by Lisa on 12.28.10 at 9:16 pm

My resolution is to live by the motto “just do it.” I worry too much if others will think it is silly or pointless. I will do things that I want to do and enjoy despite others’ opinions.

13. Posted by Rita on 12.29.10 at 9:38 pm

I resolve to do less and reflect more.

I also resolve to stop allowing digital media to pull me, but instead for me to judiciously harness it.

14. Posted by Courtney on 12.29.10 at 11:32 pm

I resolve to work hard at learning as much as I can about design no matter what school I am currently studying at or even if I get rejected from the desired schools I applied to transfer to.

If passion is desire, then nothing should stand in my way! 🙂

15. Posted by Shelley on 12.29.10 at 11:45 pm

I resolve to cook one new thing every week (no small feat for a business-owner and mom who barely has time to cook).

16. Posted by Natalia on 12.30.10 at 6:36 am

Spend more time in the letterpress studio, spend less time in front of the computer. The two are related.

17. Posted by Jennifer on 12.30.10 at 10:51 am

Generate more letterpress prints and cards!!

18. Posted by Beth Goldstein on 12.30.10 at 12:30 pm

Can I change my mind? Or actually, add to it…
    A friend sent me a forward this morning from the Huffington Post about a story on NPR about John Kralik, who decided to send 364 thank you cards to show his gratitude for people and things.
    What a simple, wonderful idea. I’m going to do it!

19. Posted by Lilibeth on 12.30.10 at 5:53 pm

2010 went by with stacks of un-photographed and un-blogged pieces of stationery & invitations. We resolve to be more diligent in getting our products out in a timely manner. We got way too distracted this year. So the operative word for 2011 will be…focus.

20. Posted by Gabby on 12.30.10 at 10:49 pm

In 2011 I want to stop worrying about the small things because this is the only life we got and also to continue art mailing people to keep it alive.

21. Posted by Leora Effinger on 12.31.10 at 7:00 pm

I resolve to create more, and more regularly! More specifically, I resolve to create and release a new piece of art every week, be it a photograph, drawing, piece of book art, or digital art. Call it a “Project 52″, if you will. The regular deadline should be the impetus I need to create more regularly, explore my style and mediums, and find a voice and vision.

22. Posted by Scott Dickinson on 01.1.11 at 12:09 am

Not to be rude to Mr. Wasco but I resolve not to design any script foundry type- I’ll take my letterpress with serif, thank you very much. Make mine Goudy or Garamond, ragged right, 10 on 12. Save the frilly stuff for steel die engraving.

23. Posted by Ellen Westerman on 01.1.11 at 2:23 am

I will finish three projects i started this year, 2010. The three i have in mind are: drilling one \small\ hole in the ceiling to hang a mobile from without it becoming a remodeling project and suspending the installation,(haha, sorry for the pun), hanging curtains, made from hankies, that so far has, brought me to tears, and finishing a pair of earrings (a gift for a friend)i started in the spring.
    ps i will become a physicist and finally answer NASA’s calls.

24. Posted by Polly Schildkamp on 01.1.11 at 6:38 am

Enjoy even more the teenage years. Continue to ensure we eat together as a family at least once a day to listen and learn from our teenage children before they leave for college

25. Posted by Mick on 01.3.11 at 11:05 am

move my office, make a profit, keep pushing the quality of work higher, and at home find more patience for the kids

26. Posted by Amanda Roberts on 01.3.11 at 12:18 pm

Last year’s resolution was to put forth more “effort”. I did pretty good at implementing this but in 2011 I need to tighten things up with “focus and diligence”.

27. Posted by Small B on 01.4.11 at 2:40 pm

I vow not to buy another down comforter until my 1 1/2 yr-old girl puppy stops barfing on the bed.

28. Posted by Small B on 01.4.11 at 2:41 pm

I vow not to purchase any more down comforters until my girl-pup stops barfing on the bed.

29. Posted by Small B on 01.4.11 at 2:42 pm

I vow not to purchase another down comforter until the big puppy stops vomiting on the bed