With a focus on impressions, the publication is printed on Mohawk Options + Navajo and enhanced with limited-edition letterpress inserts
[Cohoes, NY – April 28, 2015] Mohawk, North America’s largest privately-owned manufacturer of fine papers, envelopes and specialty substrates for commercial and digital printing, announces the release of the sixth issue of the award-winning Mohawk Maker Quarterly publication.
Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue No. 06 was designed by Hybrid Design, based in San Francisco, CA. “Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue No. 06 explores the concept of impressions and how, whether tangible or abstract, our reality is formed by the impressions we make and take,” said Dora Drimalas, Principal, Hybrid Design.
To support the theme of impressions, each issue of Mohawk Maker Quarterly Issue No. 06 contains a limited-edition, two-color collectable insert letterpress printed by Minnesota-based Studio on Fire. A total of three collectable designs were letterpress printed on Mohawk Options Vellum 100% PC White 130 dtc. The designs are titled “Victory” by Erik Marinovich, “Man Made” by Invisible Creature, and “California Gold No. 2 – Sun” by Lab Partners. These designers are featured in an ongoing series called Mohawk Champions of Craft, developed to highlight creatives who demonstrate impeccable craftsmanship and attention to detail in their work.
“In the Impressions issue of The Maker Quarterly we look at how the act of making in itself is a powerful way to create a lasting impression. At Mohawk we believe strongly in the power of paper and print to make a high impact impression, whether it’s a handwritten note, an engraved invitation or richly textured book cover,” said Chris Harrold, Vice President of Business Development and Creative Director, Mohawk.
Articles featured in Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue No. 06:
- What is Ephemeral? We rely on technology and store in the cloud, but as our computers crash and files get corrupted, printed matter endures.
- Impressions that last a lifetime - From backyard farmer to backend developer, the organization DIY.org helps kids learn to be whatever they can imagine with guidance, a sense of community, and the opportunity to earn badges along the way.
- Making Memories - How senses and emotions help us store and recall memories.
- Stewards of Heritage - a profile of Filson, a heritage brand that is creating products and customer relationships that never go out of style.
- Timeless Library - a feature about collector and curator Dave Cuzner’s eclectic collection of midcentury modern design.
The following makers are featured in Maker Quarterly No. 06:
- Studio on Fire, Design services and letterpress printing with a distinctively tactile presence.
- A Question of Eagles, Heirloom-quality goods made by husband and wife, Los Angeles, CA
- Imaginary Authors, Fragrances that follow storylines with intriguing twists
- Drawn Home, Hand-made quilts, throws and pillows, Oakland, CA
- Canoe, Hand-crafted modern leather goods, Austin, TX
- Sara Barner, Minimalist bags and wallets with elegant proportions, Portland, OR
- Calico Wallpaper, Gilded, metallic, marbled wallpapers and bespoke wall murals, Brooklyn, NY (Story enhanced with Mohawk Live, augmented reality)
- A Two Pipe Problem, type-centric letterpress prints, apparel and accessories, Tokyo, Japan (Story enhanced with Mohawk Live, augmented reality)
- Tiro Tiro, Enduring, covetable jewelry for everyday wear, Portland, OR
- Construction Kids, Hands-on workshops where kids use real tools to build real things, Brooklyn, NY (Story enhanced with Mohawk Live, augmented reality)
To demonstrate the beauty of Mohawk Options + Navajo and the outstanding print fidelity achieved with Inxwell, Mohawk’s exclusive surface technology, the Maker Quarterly is printed on Mohawk Options Navajo Smooth, Brilliant White 100 text (full size sheets) and six short sheets are printed on Mohawk Options 100% PC White, Vellum 80 text.
Inxwell combines the tactile feel of uncoated paper with the advantages of superior ink holdout, lower dot gain and significantly increased opacity. As a result, Options + Navajo print better than any other uncoated papers in the world. Ink sits on top of Inxwell papers resulting in better color, greater detail, and outstanding photographic reproduction in all popular printing processes.
The Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue No. 06 was printed by Sandy Alexander, Inc., Clifton, NJ, using four color process, match neon orange, pink and green.
The following stories within Mohawk Maker Quarterly No. 06 are enhanced with additional content made possible through Mohawk Live, Mohawk’s augmented reality app: Calico Wallpaper, A Two Pipe Problem, and Construction Kids.
By scanning photos containing the Mohawk Live icon found in each story, readers can enjoy a multidimensional experience enhanced with video content. Mohawk Live is free and easy to download in the App Store or Google Play.
To view the publication online or to sign up to receive future issues of the Mohawk Maker Quarterly, visit www.mohawkconnects.com/cultureofcraft.
Mohawk is North America’s largest privately-owned manufacturer of fine papers and envelopes which are preferred for commercial and digital printing, photo specialties and high-end direct mail. Mohawk fine papers and envelopes include the signature brands Mohawk Superfine® and Strathmore®, as well as proprietary treatments Inxwell® and i-Tone®. With a culture of innovation, Mohawk’s business model now extends beyond paper manufacturing into new areas of growth, including digital substrates and web-based software platforms, which connect designers and printers to new markets.
As a leader in environmentally and socially responsible business practices, Mohawk was the first U.S. manufacturer of commercial printing papers to match 100% of its electricity with wind power renewable energy credits and the first U.S. premium paper mill to shift toward carbon neutral production. Mohawk’s portfolio of recycled papers is certified by Green Seal and the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
Mohawk is a fourth-generation, family-owned and operated business based in Cohoes, New York, with global sales and operations located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, please visit www.mohawkconnects.com.
CONNECT WITH MOHAWK