[Cohoes, NY – January 28, 2016] Mohawk, North America’s largest privately-owned manufacturer of fine papers, envelopes and specialty substrates for commercial and digital printing, announces the release of the eighth issue of the award-winning Mohawk Maker Quarterly publication.
Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue number eight explores the concept of feel, and was designed by Hybrid Design, San Francisco, CA. Dora Drimalas, Principal of Hybrid explains, “Feel is a sensation that is more than the sum of its parts, it is inextricably linked to our senses. It is the special thing that happens when multiple senses conspire to take you down the same path.”
“At Mohawk, we embrace the idea that the medium is just as important as the message in creating the ideal experience for an audience. It’s the cornerstone of our brand and the hallmark of building emotional connections. We agree with the claim that customers don’t necessarily remember what you do for them as much as they remember how you made them feel,” says Chris Harrold, Mohawk’s Vice President of Business Development and Creative Director.
Demonstrative of medium and message, the Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eight is the most bold and ambitious of the Maker Quarterly series in its imaginative use of eight distinctive colored and textured papers drawn from the Strathmore portfolio and The Curious Collection.
Mohawk was recently named the exclusive North American distributor for The Curious Collection, which is comprised of seven beautiful, tactile grades of extraordinary papers, including Curious Translucents, Curious Particles, Curious Metallics, Curious Cosmic,
Curious Matter, Curious Touch and Curious Skin.
Mohawk will soon launch a new swatchbook featuring the entire line of Curious Collection papers, which are manufactured with FSC Certified pulps, using renewable energy credits (RECS) from Green-e® certified energy sources.
The cover of Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eight is printed on Strathmore Wove, Riveria Rose, one of four Strathmore Heritage Collection colors introduced in 2015, and inspired by The Strathmore Archive. The cover illustration by Olimpia Zagnoli is the fourth in a series of illustrated covers featuring bold, beautiful patterns.
“With the Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eight’s theme, ‘feel,’ we wanted the cover to jump out and grab you, to compel you to pick it up, to feel it physically, but also emotionally. Olimpia's vibrant, unexpected color combinations and simple expressive characters were the perfect vehicle for that fun, emotional celebration,” says Caleb Kozlowski, Design Director, Hybrid Design.
The publication’s finished size is 9.75 inches x 13.25 inches, and features full tabloid spreads printed on five different Strathmore papers, interspersed with short sheets (7.2 inches x 13.25 inches) printed on uniquely textured and richly colored papers from The Curious Collection:
- Mohawk Strathmore Wove, Riveria Rose 80 Text (118 gsm), pgs. 1-2 (cover), 31-32
- Curious Collection Particles, Silver 80 Text (120 gsm), pgs. 3-4, 29-30
- Mohawk Strathmore Wove, Platinum White 80 Text (118 gsm), pgs. 5-6, 27-28
- Curious Collection Metallics, Ice Gold 80 Text (120 gsm), pgs. 7-8, 25-26
- Mohawk Strathmore Smooth, Platinum White 80 Text (118 gsm), pgs. 9-10, 23-24
- Curious Collection Skin, Black 91 Text (135 gsm), pgs. 11-12, 21-22
- Mohawk Strathmore Cambric, Platinum White 70 Text, (104 gsm), pgs. 13-14, 19-20
- Mohawk Strathmore Pastelle, Bright White 80 Text (118 gsm), pgs. 15-18, featuring an elegant deckled edge
According to Mohawk’s Chris Harrold, “Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eight can easily be taken apart to encourage further discovery of these beautiful papers, the printing process used and the impeccable design elements. Paper takes center stage in this issue showing each grade’s unique ability to carry the photography and illustration featured throughout.”
Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eight includes the following features:
- Medium Rare – The music fan’s online go-to, Pitchfork.com launched a quarterly magazine – because there are some stories that just have to be told on paper. This feature showcases the striking beauty of Curious Collection Metallics, Ice Gold, against vibrant images printed on Strathmore Wove and Smooth, Platinum White.
- Nature’s Calling – Whether it’s a bright, snowy mountain, or a dark, moody forest, photographer Kennett Mohrman captures expansive natural landscapes with both wonder and clarity. A two-page spread printed on Strathmore Cambric and Strathmore Pastelle showcases very different finishes to highlight Mohrman’s stunning photography. A memorable short sheet page of Curious Collection Skin, Black, includes a full color portrait of the photographer. This article is enhanced with bonus content available via Mohawk Live, using HP Aurasma augmented reality technology.
- The Strathmore Timeline – Mohawk stumbled upon a paper holy grail when it discovered the Strathmore Archive, a collection of rare fine paper samples dating back to the late 1800s. The center spread in issue eight is a peek at the 7,000+ objects in The Strathmore Archive. This pullout is beautifully illustrated on highly textured Strathmore Pastelle featuring a classic, time-honored deckled edge. Harkening back to the roots of the Strathmore brand, Mohawk continues a legacy of fine papermaking that began in 1892, and remains today as one of the last manufacturers of fine, machine-made, deckled edge papers.
- Brand Mirror – The best brands in the world aim to inspire instead of simply to sell. Written by Dora Drimalas.
- The Thing The Book – When artists create every facet of a book, from cover to index, it becomes a work of art. This article is enhanced with bonus content available via Mohawk Live, using HP Aurasma augmented reality technology.
- Why Design Matters – Alain de Botton, writer, philosopher and author of “The Architecture of Happiness,” believes that good design can help us become the best versions of ourselves. Illustrations by Mike Anderson printed on Curious Collection Skin, Black, adjacent to Strathmore Cambric Platinum White.
“Even if we’re not always able to say quite how objects make us feel, we all sense a spirit, better or worse, that emanates from a given set of objects.” – Alain de Botton
The following Champions of Craft are profiled in Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eight:
- Small Room Collective, Mobile mercantile and gallery space
- Olimpia Zagnoli, Vibrant illustrations with strong contrast, Milan, Italy
- Sebastian Cox, Sustainable designer and craftsman, London, UK. This feature is enhanced with bonus content available via Mohawk Live, using HP Aurasma augmented reality technology.
- Object and Totem, Handmade ceramics and jewelry studio, Brooklyn, NY
- Dinosaur Designs, Handmade resin jewelry and housewares, Sydney, AU and NYC
- Jacobsen Salt, Sea salts harvested off the Oregon coast, Portland, OR
- Shelter Social Club, Hospitality group creating community-oriented spaces. This feature is enhanced with bonus content available via Mohawk Live, using HP Aurasma augmented reality technology.
- Penland School, International Center for craft education, Penland, North Carolina
- Brothers & Craft, New media and creative agency founded by four brothers, Charleston, SC
- Adam Silverman, Handmade textured pottery, Glendale, CA
The Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue eight was skillfully printed by Sandy Alexander, Inc., Clifton, NJ, using conventional and UV inks.
To view the publication online or to sign up to receive future issues of the Mohawk Maker Quarterly, visit www.mohawkconnects.com/cultureofcraft.
Mohawk is North America’s largest privately-owned manufacturer of fine papers and envelopes which are preferred for commercial and digital printing, photo specialties and high-end direct mail. Mohawk fine papers and envelopes include the signature brands Mohawk Superfine® and Strathmore®, as well as proprietary treatments Inxwell® and i-Tone®. With a culture of innovation, Mohawk’s business model now extends beyond paper manufacturing into new areas of growth, which connect designers and printers to new markets.
As a leader in environmentally and socially responsible business practices, Mohawk was the first U.S. manufacturer of commercial printing papers to match 100% of its electricity with wind power renewable energy credits and the first U.S. premium paper mill to shift toward carbon neutral production. Mohawk’s portfolio of recycled papers is certified by Green Seal and the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
Mohawk is a fourth-generation, family-owned and operated business based in Cohoes, New York, with global sales and operations located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, please visit www.mohawkconnects.com.
CONNECT WITH MOHAWK